Sunday, December 6, 2015

Portobello's Beet Tartare (a copycat recipe)

First of all, this is not a food photography blog; I am not a freelance photographer, and the HTC One does not have a great low-light camera.  Also, I was not planning on sharing this recipe, but it was a last minute Sunday project that came together nicely.

Elliot and I moved to Portland, Oregon a few months ago- the food out here is amazing. On the trip out to get married last year, a dear friend of ours congratulated us with a gift certificate to Portobello Vegan Trattoria, home of an amazing Beet Tartare antipasto dish beloved by many.

We went for dinner a couple months ago and I've been craving the Beet Tartare ever since.  Luckily the menu details the ingredients: diced, roasted beets with carrot aioli, fines herbes, & capers atop cashew cheese with olive oil, sea salt, & bread. With all kinds of time on my hands today, I realized I had all the ingredients to attempt to imitate the dish. It worked out quite well!


Because I'm too lazy to come up with my own recipes (or type up others to fake it), here's what I did and recipes I used:

Cashew Cheese: Used the recipe from here: Stupid Easy Vegan Cashew Cheese. Go a little light on the water as the cashew cheese should hold up under the weight of the beet tartare. I think this recipe could use a little more lemon juice than it calls for.

Carrot Aioli: Adapted the recipe from here: Wikibooks - Spicy Carrot Aioli. Left out the serrano and the dijon, used lemon juice instead of orange because it's what I had. It has quite a bite with all the raw garlic, you might be well advised to cook the garlic in some oil for about a minute just to take that bite off.  Mixed into the beets, the garlic isn't so bad.

Diced, Roasted Beets: Roast some beets and dice them.  Then pile them up and chop your knife thru the pieces some more.  Or buy those vacuum-sealed roasted beets and dice those to all hell.  Use 4 small beets or a couple large beets.

Fantastic kitchen lighting.  Not actually whipped cream, a bowl of dirt, and orange juice.

Mix the carrot aioli with the diced, roasted beets and stir in some capers.  I also threw in a little of the jarred caper water for tasties.  Use a wide, shallow dish or what ever you have with a flat bottom and spread a layer of the beet tartare in it, then add a layer of the cashew cheese on top.  Just put in what ever looks like the right amount. Maybe grease the dish or line it with plastic wrap to make it easier to remove from the container.  Place a dish on top and overturn the whole thing to release it onto the plate. Top with chopped flat-leaf parsley and/or chives. I didn't realize that I had parsley until I was more than half way done eating, such is life. Drizzle some good olive oil on that baby if it pleases you.

Realized after everything was prepared that it would be nice to serve with crusty bread like at the restaurant, so I've been working on that ever since.  Sort of followed this recipe: Crusty French Bread as I already had my Cuisinart out and I don't have "cake flour" what ever that is.


It's been a while since I've had the original, but this will do in the mean time. The above recipes will likely make more beet tartare than cashew cheese so just, like, make more cashew cheese.

Found the parsley!

No comments: